Monday, May 19, 2014

Still here



Has it really been 2 months since I posted? (Why yes, yes it has).

Well, I'm still here!  Finished radiation and chemo almost 5 weeks ago, and I think I'm starting to feel a little better.  It's been a rough road; my expectations for recovery were out of step with reality.  The first couple weeks after radiation is over actually get worse, then it levels out a bit, and finally, *finally* I can see some light at the end of the tunnel.

My biggest struggle has been getting enough to eat.  I still can't really eat anything solid, so I'm surviving on protein shakes and the like.  Mostly, I haven't been eating enough. I've lost almost 50 pounds all told, which is way more than I was supposed to, but the doctors don't seem too concerned.  The last couple of weeks of treatment I was borderline dehydrated, but I managed to get through without IV fluids.  At least I'm getting enough fluids now.

I'm pushing myself to get better so I can make it to David and Bonnie's wedding on June 1st in Georgia.  I'm starting to get out and get some exercise, and pushing myself to eat more so I can get stronger.

I've been doing a really poor job of communicating with everyone -- thanks to everyone for your kind cards, letters, emails, care packages, plants, flowers and pets :)

5 comments:

  1. Hang in there Hans. Know we are all thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Hansie -- I think of you every day! I'm so very glad that you are finally seeing an upside. I'm really looking forward to seeing you in person again soon and giving you a BIG HUG! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a trooper Hans! I cannot express how glad I am that you are starting to feel better and experience positive results. Sending you positive thoughts and BEST wishes! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update Hans. I've been thinking about you and your family constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to see your update and your face! We, too, think of you all the time and send our love.

    -Caroline, Russell, and the boys

    ReplyDelete